Thursday, September 23, 2010

Rapunzel






For graphic design we had to create two current book covers for a classic fairy tale; one using image and text and one substituting text with image. I chose Rapunzel by the Brothers Grimm because I thought it would be interesting to create my own unique version of something that has been presented in such a singular way. I decided to illustrate the images because I thought it reflected the time in which story was written as well as highlighted the plant, Rapunzel, which is not only the name of the girl, but the reason for the story's conflict. I wanted to reflect the dark mood of the story, which is often forgotten in the wake of the infamous quote, "Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair," and is why I chose aged, worn and textured backgrounds. The first is a warm brown color to reflect the garden setting, growth of the plant and golden tones in Rapunzel's hair, while the second is more stark and moody to reflect more of the atmosphere of the tower and Rapunzel's overall isolation from society.

-t
Share

No comments: